Thursday, December 13, 2007

Ég er kominn í jólaskap!

('I'm in the Christmas mood!')

So it's nearly here. 12 days. How exciting!
A few months ago, it was announced that a (so-called) thinktank had decided that Christmas should be downgraded. It was receiving too much attention compared to the festivals of other faiths.

I was furious. I sat down and began writing a letter to complain about this shoddy treatment and how incensed I was about the whole thing.
That's not actually true.

My actual reaction was more like this...

The sooner these people realise that Christmas and the meaning behind it and its significance for millions and millions of people the world over is bigger than they are, the better.

"Winter Wishes!"

What's that about?!

But it did make me determined to celebrate the Christian aspects of Christmas more than ever this year. I can't help but think that Christmas is actually a bit of an ugly occasion without the beautiful story of Jesus coming to earth at the centre of it.

Anyway.

I resolved to come up with ways to put the 'Christ' back in 'Christmas' this year (how overused is that phrase?) (Obviously, I'm a lifelong Salvationist/Christian, so it's always been the centre of Christmas for me, but you know what I mean. It's easy to be taken over by all the other stuff).

So this year:

1. 'O Holy Night' is my mum's and my favourite Christmas carol of all time. I love it. So this year I made an 'O Holy Night' advent CD - a CD with 24 versions of that beautiful song by a range of big and less well known names. Only good ones of course (there are more than enough bad ones to choose from. Don't get me started on Christina Aguilera...). Every day a different version has been played and it's really added something to the advent time.

Obviously that's not a CD you want to leave on continuously, or you'd want to kill yourself.

2. This year I'm only sending religious Christmas cards (that's actually something I've been doing for a few years, but never really consciously). Admittedly, you have to look hard for ones that don't suck, but I found some good'uns at SP&S this year... No dogs in tiaras or 'December greetings' for me!

And, I've left it kind of late now, but does anyone have any other ideas?

Moreover, this year I have been looking to see how much the real meaning of Christmas is mentioned. And it really isn't as little as you'd think.

1. I don't know how many religious Christmas carols I've heard walking round Oxford St. doing the Christmas shopping (which I've finished by the way!)

2. I went to Trafalgar Square to see the Christmas tree and right in the middle was a giant nativity scene (maybe they have that every year, I don't know). And although it was a weird one (is that Joseph chilling out at the side?!), you couldn't help but notice it.
(Unfortunately a strange, but admittedly friendly, lady saw I was looking at it and come over to tell me that we were selling ourselves to the European Union. I'm afraid I'm not really the right person to talk to about that, love. Hopefully she didn't say that to everyone who was looking at it...)

3. And apparently Clintons has got its biggest ever selection of 'religious' Christmas cards... Admittedly that's like 4, and they're all pants, but still! Up the ante, Clintons!

Anyway, here goes - the countdown continues, and I'm definitely having my best advent yet.

Enjoy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree, its completely outrageous. Christmas is a Christian festival, centred around Jesus - no one takes Mohammed out of Ramadan or Vishnu out of Diwali - so why on earth should we complete de-religious-ize Christmas?! Its sad that as long as its not Christian, or hasn't got Jesus in, its OK. But it really shouldn't be OK because then its not Christmas, its just Mixmas - and then all people care about is money, booze and gifts rather than what Christmas should be about: love, compassion and happiness for all beings.

Plumsauce10 said...

it amazes me you know other languages, though I'm easily amazed....


and the christmas thing.... that too.