Wednesday, March 19, 2008

104 Not Out: Guest Blogger 3

Guest Blogger: Katie Allen

World Book Day

I thought this post would be a good opportunity to promote World Book Day. Actually, it's probably a rubbish opportunity to promote World Book Day, as by the time it's published it will have long been and gone. But you can be extra prepared for next year...

On Thursday, 6th March 2008, schools and bookshops all over the country celebrated the wonder of stories by dedicating an entire day to the theme of fairytales and favourite books. And man, did our school celebrate in style... (for those of you who don't know, I'm a primary school teacher). Staff and pupils all dressed up as their favourite book character, we had a parade, wrote book reviews and generally had a great time! I am a big, big fan of the Mr. Men, and think that my enthusiasm has rubbed off on the kids. There were a few children who were dressed up in professionally made Mr. Men outfits, which was nice. But one child in my class really went to town, and made his very own cardboard cut out version of Mr. Strong. I think it's ok to put his photo on here as you can't see his face at all (it wasn't a very practical outfit, manoeuvring through doors and sitting down proved to be a bit of a problem):As for me, I just put on the first thing that I pulled out of the wardrobe that morning...It's quite hard to tell from this photo, but I haven't been very well this week. The day before this was taken I was sent home from work ill (which has never happened before) and the only reason I dragged myself in the next day was because I didn't think the chance to dress up as Alice in Wonderland would come along again for a while.

Unfortunately, having survived the entire day being cheery and pretending that my head didn't pound every time someone shouted 'ARE YOU ALICE IN WONDERLAND?', I got into my car and realised that I'd run out of petrol. Which meant that I had to stop at a petrol station. In rush hour. I didn't take any photos of the incident, but I imagine it looked something like this:Anyway, I tried to act nonchalant and went to pay for my petrol (feeling like I was in a scene from Enchanted).

The following conversation ensued:

Me: Number 7, please.
Shop Assistant: Sorry, I haven't seen it.
Me: What, the amount?
Shop Assistant: The rabbit.

The people behind the counter were still chuckling as I drove off. Next year, I'm coming as The Invisible Man...

Katie has her own blog here.

2 comments:

Mitchenstein said...

How did you manage to get a photograph of Alice in Wonderland (is that still her name when she's not there?)?! She's notoriously tricky to photograph.

And that was a great costume!

RikiWright said...

I thought the costume was a little disturbing and weird but good blog I thought.