Monday, July 21, 2008

Ode to Aldgate

Ode to Aldgate Underground Station

I can understand your sadness,
I know how hard it must be,
When someone steps on to your platform
And shouts ‘This isn’t Liverpool Street!’

Your workers must feel so unwanted.
‘Which platform for Barking, please?’
Broken-hearted, they say, with a sigh,
‘I think you want Aldgate East.’

You're the station that nobody aims for:
As soon as they’re in, they want out,
Over the footbridge or back out the door,
They never stop to see what you’re about.


Always the source of disappointment,
It’s only natural you’d want to stand out.
But now, just between friends, dear Aldgate,
What is this really all about?

I can understand your sadness,
And sometimes you must feel like a grumble,
But when, and why, dear Aldgate,
Did you start to resemble a jungle?

3 comments:

Katie said...

Not bad. Not bad at all.

However, I think the only two words that rhyme properly with jungle are 'bungle' and 'fungal'. It's a shame you couldn't think of a good rhyme using one of those words... ;)

The Smiths said...

I quite like Aldgate - when I uesd to get the circle line to Liv St from St James Park, there's a good game to play if there's a Met line train in on the next platform. Often they hold the circle line train to let the Met train go first so you have to stand in the middle of the platform and when the door buzzers start going you dive for that train.

Obviously you look a mite foolish if you end up diving back onto the train you just got off, but when that Met line train pulls out with you on it, boy can you look smugly at all those poor saps who stayed on the circle!

Evie said...

I have indeed gone into Aldgate Station and immediately wanted to get out. I won't tell you how confused I got because you would just say that's a typical American in London! Thanks for bringing a smile tonight.