Monday, October 06, 2008

FAR3.2: Mum and Dad in the Faroes (Part One)

So this week Mum and Dad came to see me in the Faroes (I think they came to see me, otherwise it was just a pretty big coincidence that they came to the place I’m currently living). I had a great time with them. The weather – not traditionally one of the Faroe Islands’ key selling points – was fantastic (if cold) and we saw loads. I thought the next two blog posts could take the form of photo posts, just to show you some of the things we got up to. Ok, so the weather wasn’t fantastic when they arrived. In fact, it was a storm, but it got better!

We spent the first full day travelling up to the Northern Islands – and even had snow (the first snow this winter). This is from Klaksvík, the Faroes’ second town. I had to take them to my favourite village, Viðareiði, and they fell in love with it too (well they said they did).It’s a stunning place. You stand in the middle of the village and can see a panoramic view of seven islands, mountains, etc. Stunning, but not easy to capture on camera.

Bus drivers in the Faroes are something else. Last time I went to Viðareiði (see here) the bus driver saw I was taking photos through the window and stopped the bus so that I could get off and get some better shots. Well, this time we got out and didn’t have long until we needed to catch the bus back (we had a choice of staying in Viðareiði for fifteen minutes or two hours – beautiful as it is, it’d be hard to fill two hours). We decided to make the most of our fifteen minutes and see as much as possible. Realising this, the bus driver told us not to worry about coming back to the bus stop – he’d come and pick us up before going back, giving us nearly double the time we thought we’d have. Nice! That evening we went to one of Tórshavn’s restaurants – for a town the size of Tórshavn, the range of restaurants is fantastic. The next day was our day for sightseeing in Tórshavn:I’m adding this picture because I just like it. There aren’t many European capitals where you can get a shot like this in the town centre...

1 comment:

Katie said...

It really does look beautiful. Your mum was telling me all about it on Sunday- I wish there were snow capped mountains in Southend...