Wednesday, April 15, 2009

FAR14.2: Happy Faroeaster! (Part Two)

As at home, Easter Sunday here begins with breakfast at The Salvation Army. It’s one of my favourite things about Easter at home, and I was actually really looking forward to it, although slightly concerned about whether or not I’d wake up in time (as the libraries and shops, etc. open at 10am, I’m not generally used to being at places really early*). As it turned out, I needn’t have worried, as another church near where I live – whose members are evidently holier than us – were up and about (loudly) at 5.21am. I’m sure that’s not the time they were actually meeting – who arranges things at 5.21am? Who arranges things at 5.anything.am? But that’s the time I jumped out of bed and looked at my clock, panicking that I’d missed Easter breakfast.

The Easter Bunny didn’t seem to know I was in the Faroes, so he didn’t leave any eggs here for me, but I had spent my entire month’s food allowance on this little chocolate egg, so I didn’t miss out:

Easter breakfast was really hugnaligt. That’s a word we don’t really have in English, but it translates at cosy/pleasant/lovely, etc. Actually, I’d enjoy any event where someone gave me a hard-boiled egg, but it was really good. We sang the classics (‘Up from the Grave He Arose’, etc. but in Faroese, something we very rarely do at home...) and ate ourselves full – I’d already had two Cadbury’s Cream Eggs by that point anyway.

After the breakfast, the band went to play outside the hospital: I really love doing this sort of thing. We should be seen on Easter Sunday.

Some friends invited me round for Sunday dinner (I’ve been very lucky in that respect ever since I arrived in the Faroes), and after dinner we went for a little drive north of Tórshavn. Beautiful, isn’t it?

After Easter Monday’s morning meeting (hardcore, aren’t they?) I went for a stroll around Tórshavn with Henrietta and Sámal – the weather was great. We were looking for somewhere to get lunch, but were a little put off by the £25 price of the buffet at one restaurant near the corps. Everywhere else was shut, so we raided the fridge at Sámal’s parents’ house.

Later on, some of the young people from the corps got together for pizza and to play the Faroese board game ‘Manna’ – and it was a great end to what became a really hugnaligt Easter-time.Hope you had a great Easter too!

*In my defence, I do generally stay at the libraries until 8pm, so I do work fairly long days!

1 comment:

Katie said...

Glad you had such a good time! Can't believe how tiny that egg was for the amount you paid for it. Shocking.

And 5.21am is nothing. In the Philippines (a lot of my sentences seem to start with that now, but I'm gonna roll with it anyway!) there were people singing in the church next door from evening mass on Good Friday, ALL NIGHT until Saturday lunchtime! It was unbelievable. I was half in awe, half irritated that they were keeping me awake...