Wednesday, April 22, 2009

FAR15.2: Back on the Hope

The leaders of the Logos Hope boat ( see here) decided to invite leaders and representatives of various churches in Tórshavn and the surrounding islands to meet together one evening while the boat was docked here. Somehow – I don’t know how I get into these things – I was one of the representatives of The Salvation Army. Five of us from the Army were there, and it was a really good night. The ship’s galley provided food for us (and man, if the meals are always like that, then the crew certainly aren’t slumming it), and then we went to the church area of the ship for the evening’s meeting.

This is a guy from Malaysia who hosted the evening – he was good – and the interpreters did a sterling job, particularly when a guy from Australia, the speaker for the night, got going (the poor Faroese guy having to translate ‘tall poppy syndrome’ on the spot)...

Various people spoke, and then a band from the Faroes played and we got to have a sing along (this was ‘How Great Thou Art’, but you knew that): There was a slight moment of panic as the Australian decided we should get into groups of three with people we didn’t know, which isn’t actually that easy in the Faroes. As it was, the other two people in my group of three were related. As soon as he said ‘Ok, get into your groups’, various people made a beeline for me, saying ‘I don’t know you!’ but I got through it.*

Anyway, it was a great evening and I got to meet some really nice people – the guys in my group were both very nice (and complimentary about my Faroese, which pretty much makes me like anyone). After travelling to Belfast and Dublin, Logos Hope is on its way to London for the second half of June. If you get the chance, go and have a look at it and find out a little more about what they do (although they’re going to be a little disappointed if they’re expecting a band to play, crowds and a welcome from the Prime Minister when they arrive...).

*I should just clarify this: obviously not everyone knows everyone in the Faroes, but it is remarkable how quickly you get to recognise people’s faces – that man works in the library, she works in the tourist office, etc. And when a group of church leaders get together, they’re going to recognise each other. I’m sure people here know me as ‘the English weirdo who hangs around in bookshops’.

No comments: