Sunday, June 07, 2009

FAR19.2: Mentunarnáttin (Part Two)

At 7.30, the coolest event of the night took place, as far as I was concerned. I’ve been in the Faroes now for five months, but never seen the traditional Faroese chain dance. I’ve heard so much about it, but our paths have never crossed. It’s performed at cultural events, weddings, parties, and is particularly special to the Faroese as it was their way of maintaining the Faroese language during the years when Danish seriously threatened its survival. But you can see all about that in this video:

Later on, I went to see one of my friends sing as a backing singer at a mini-concert at the home of the Faroese record label, TUTL, which was very cool, and they sang really well.
From there it was on to a Christian concert featuring the band T.O.S. (I can’t remember what it stands for, but when read out it means ‘speech’) who were excellent. Every time I looked at the main singer he was playing a different instrument. After that, the ‘godfather’ of Faroese gospel music, Heine Lützen, played a set finishing around 1am. That was really good too.Shattered, but mega-happy, I headed off home after having had a great time. I know this blog post read a little like a diary, and was perhaps not particularly interesting for anyone other than me, but I need a way of remembering the experience this has become.

1 comment:

Katie said...

I think you should teach Citadel Gospel Choir all 60-something verses. You'd never need to worry about not having enough songs to fill a concert ever again!