Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Err... What Is It?

When people hear I’m in The Salvation Army, I’m often told that they have great respect for it – but they’re not exactly sure what it is! And then I thought, well, maybe some of my friends don’t actually know what it’s all about… So I decided to write this post.

The Salvation Army is best known for its social work, but it’s primarily a Christian church. And just like any church all sorts of people attend on a Sunday. We’re known for our brass bands and our uniforms, but lots of Salvationists don’t wear uniforms, and of course you don’t need one to visit on a Sunday!

This is me looking mighty fine in my uniform (obviously the main purpose of the uniform isn’t to make me look mighty fine, but it’s a nice perk ;-) ) Personally, I like wearing it because it says ‘Hey! This is me! I’m a Salvationist/Christian. How can I help?’ (And that’s quite a lot for an outfit to say!)

The Salvation Army was started back in 1865 by William Booth in the East End of London and it now works in 111 countries – from Australia to Argentina, Iceland to Tonga, Papua New Guinea to the Congo. I think that’s pretty cool.

Anyway, I'm not here to tell you how great it is, I'm just telling you what it is and how proud I am to be a part of it. It's pretty difficult to sum everything up in one tiny little post, but if you are interested in knowing a liitle more, you can look at www.salvationarmy.org.uk So if you're ever feeling bored one Sunday morning, why don't you go and have a look?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi John - just a note to say I've added you to the sally bloggers ring. Welcome!

Also, don't know if you remember, but my wife Dawn, myself, and a woman called Penny were on preaching placement at Southend a few years ago... so "hello" :)

Johnny said...

Good word, mate!

Peace & Blessings

J

Anonymous said...

Was this post for my benefit? :-P