Sunday, March 25, 2007

Ten Points

Recently I've had quite a lot of thoughts I could blog about, but they don't really hang together very well, so this post contains ten points. The ten things I've thought I could put in my blog that aren't really enough for seperate blog posts. These are they:

Point One:
In fairness to Katie, she did make me a certifcate after I went on my Twinkie hunt. This is it:
It's not bad is it? Other than stupidly writing the word 'signed' where you're supposed to sign, she did quite well. By the way, Katie says I mention her a lot on my blog. For the next four blogs there will be a Katie embargo.

Point Two:
I really like William Booth's 'I'll fight' quote and, as you may have picked up, I quite like languages, so in the right-hand column, I now have this quote in as many languages as I could find. The Icelandic and French ones seem to finish weirdly and the Portuguese and Danish ones have missed out the 'as they do now' bits, but they're all I could find! If any Icelandic, French, Portuguese or Danish speakers want to help, feel free! And I don't read Polish or Finnish, so I have no idea about those... And if you know the quote in any other languages, please let me know (maybe Anna knows it in Swiss German?)!

Point Three:
For some reason, the 'about me' part of my blog is now in Icelandic...

Point Four:
For the first time in months and months I don't have any deadlines at the moment. As someone who spends their entire life with deadlines and needing to be somewhere five minutes ago, it's quite a strange feeling! I'm not sure I like this new freedom...

Point Five:
Forget about HoDo - do you GoMo? The other day I was running for the train - really late for uni and quite stressed. And as I stressed on by, the postman (not even our postman) said 'Good morning, mate' - and that really brightened up my day! So go on, GoMo! (Good Morning, obviously).

Point Six:
Yesterday morning I was collecting for The Salvation Army on the High Street. I haven't been able to do it for the last few years, but I have to tell you that I loved it. I had a really good time. I really liked being there - people came and spoke to me, told me how they loved the Army, asked me the time, wished me luck, told me that they hoped I didn't get too cold. People were also very generous. One guy said that he thought we probably had enough money by now. I don't know what he thinks we do with it! One thing I really liked was when a family was debating how much they'd give - obviously the mother wanted to give quite a bit more than the others did and she said 'I don't care - there's just something about them.' I really liked that.

Point Seven:
Speaking of quotes, I read this quote from 1912 the other day: 'The Icelanders have an idea that the presence of the Army in their country lowers them in the estimation of other nations.' (History of the Salvation Army, Volume 5 - 1904-1914). I quite liked that quote too!

Point Eight:
Cleo Rocos was making eyes at me the other day. I sort of gave a double take as she walked past me and she looked at me and smiled a sort of 'Yes, I am famous' smile. I told Katie (the embargo hasn't started yet) that I'd seen Cleo Rocos. Katie thought it was a coffee bar.

Point Nine:
This post got longer than I was planning... I think I might start learning Greenlandic. Those two things are unrelated.

Point Ten:
My brother was exploring the internet the other day, when he came across the Michael Jackson Moonwalker game for the MegaDrive (weren't they the best?). Now, part of me vaguely remembers it... Does anyone else? The graphics are so bad. The basic premise is that he has to go around dancing and saving little children holding teddy bears. Hmm... Anyway, to defeat the baddies, he makes them dance. Ingenious. And he gives a little 'woo-hoo' (in his own way) every time he gets hurt. What a classic.


It even works on dogs...

And, of course...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Im not sure, but it seems that Wiliam Booth has been translated quite liberarely into different languages...it seems that the french dont care too much about men in prision while the portuguese prefere not to fight for the alcoholics :-)They just left that part out. And i sent your finish version to Märki, hell have a look at it.
French: (as they do now) Comment elles le font maitenant ( for the women)

comment il´s lónt maitenant (the kids)

comment il en a maitenant (the alcoholics)

Portuguese:u can use for all of them: como o fazem agora

Berndeutsch: Solang Froue gränne, wie sis jz mache, wiu ig kämpfe.
solang ching hunger hei, wie sis jz hei, wiu ig kämpfe.
Solang Mönsche ids Gfängniss müesse, ine und use, wiu ig kämpfe.
Solang Manne Alkoholabhängig sy, wiu ig kämpfe.
Solang sech Modis uf dr Strass verchoufe, wiu ig kämpfe.
Solangs ä Seu git wo ds Liecht Gottes noned schynt, wiu ig kämpfe. I wirde bis zu mim letschtä Atemzug kämpfe!

Zürichdeutsch: Solang Fraue brüeled, wie sis jez mached, will ich kämpfe.
Solang Chind hunger händ, wie sis jez händ, will ich kämpfe.
Solang Mänsche is Gfängnis müend, ine und use, will ich kämpfe.
Solang Manne Alkoholabhängig sind, will ich kämpfe. Solang sich Meitli uf de Strass verchaufed, will ich kämpfe.
Solangs e Seele git wos Liecht vo Gott nonig schiint, will ich kämpfe.
Ich kämpfe bis zum letschte Atemzug!

I can get it i Lingala, if u want me to.
Take care

Mitchenstein said...

Thanks Anna! That's very helpful... I'll get them added to my list as soon as I can!

And you win the award for my longest comment ever! :-D

Well done!

I'll get Katie to make you a certificate. But note: she doesn't leave you any space to write your name.

Daniel said...

Whoa, how can that be that someone else than I could be the writer of the longest post... I wonder... Though, still I might become the owner of the certificate for the most complicated post(s), don't I?! *beggy gaze* :-p

Anyways, I like GoMo! I'm used to GoMo (and GoDa) all day, as you have to in the barracks. But it's a point I like about it actually... and as I'm so used to it I'm sometimes tempted to do so on normal streets in the neighbourhood or wherever, too.. But then usually I think about it, and I think people would strangely look at me if I greeted them. Sad, isn't it?

All world should be friends. And now..... Group hug!!!!! xD

Katie said...

Right, that's it. I'm demoting you from Star of the Week. Anna seems nice, she can have it instead. By the way, you appear to have just mentioned me again... not quite sure how you're going to manage four posts!

I think maybe it's time for us to start seeing other people...

Anonymous said...

I like that post!
But I made you a better translation of the Icelandic version (Wiliam Booth)

Svo lengi sem konur gráta eins og nú, mun ég berjast; svo lengi sem börn þjást úr hungri eins og nú, mun ég berjast; svo lengi sem karlmenn fara inn og út úr fangelsum eins og nú, mun ég berjast; svo lengi sem rónar og fallnar konar eru á götum úti og svo lengi sem nokkur sála er til sem lifir án Guðs ljóss mun ég berjast. Ég skal berjast til eilífðarnóns!

Take care, and thank you for all the birthday wishes today :-)

Stacey said...

IVE UPDATED MY BLOG... Proven right??? I think not sonny jim!