Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Hunting for Twinkies...

Thanks to Tim, I ended up on a hunt for Twinkies today. Now, my friend Katie is a school teacher and needs some Twinkies for the Easter production of Grease. Another friend Tim (who I haven't seen for one year, by the way - I don't know why that's relevant, but it feels it) helpfully pointed out that I can go and get some Twinkies for Katie because, and I quote, 'they sell them at CyberCandy, only 10 minutes away from uni'. This meant that I ended up looking for Twinkies.

Today was my only opportunity to get them before Katie's deadline of Monday. With my bag packed full of uni books (six thick books, plus a dictionary) I set off for Covent Garden (where Tim had said the shop was). Via Leicester Square. Upon arrival at Covent Garden (so not ten minutes away), I checked the map (remember that I have a very heavy bag) at Covent Garden tube station and saw that it was actually at Leicester Square. Thanks Tim. So, with my heavy bag I set off back down the road I had come along to Leicester Square. Then I found the shop and the Twinkies. Great!

Then it dawned on me - I would have to break my rule. I would have to travel on the Central Line at peak time. Now anyone who has ever done this can tell you what a horrible experience that is. So I get the tube to Holborn and then get the very hot, very packed, Central Line train. Very, very hot. And I have the heaviest bag in the world (and it's got one strap, so that's some concentrated weight). I had my face pressed up against a bald guy's sweaty head. And another guy's earphones were playing TechnoSmurfs in my ear. And I forgot to mention that I was wearing an Arctic coat that kept me warm in -26 degrees. Completely unable to move my arms to remove it. I was perhaps the most miserable I have been for a long time!

I tell Katie that I've got the Twinkies and the other things she asked me to get (I remind her that I am not a personal shopper). She is quite happy and says 'the drama teacher will be so impressed that I went to the effort of getting some real American Twinkies'.

Well done Katie.

7 comments:

Glyn Harries said...

I love twinkies. I can't believe you can get them over here. Everytime someone I know goes to America I ask them to bring me back a box of twinkies. I am off to Leicester Square. Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!

Katie said...

John, John, John...

That was a nice little story you wrote. However, you seem to have neglected to mention that I made you a beautiful 'Star of the Week' certificate (rare and much sought after I should add). Nothing says 'Thank you' like one of those...

Was very tempted to ring you today and say that I'd made a mistake, and it was really Oreo cookies that I needed. But I thought better of it.

Mitchenstein said...

Are you kidding me?!

Timmy Magic said...

For the record, I feel bad!

In hindsight I suppose I could have gone myself and then used it as an excuse to see John (who I haven't seen since Mike and AJ's wedding)

Andy said...

Flippin' second bottom of the list of friends who blog...

Hrumph...

Katie said...

I don't know what you're complaining about Andy... I'm at the bottom!

I'm not gonna pretend that doesn't hurt John.

(Although can't recall if I've always been there or if I was moved after the twinkie incident).

Mitchenstein said...

Andy, I apologise. I've tasted my own medicine and it is bitter.