Wednesday, July 11, 2007

The Godfather

Isn't this little guy cute? And look at the baby he's holding!

Apologies for not blogging a little earlier, but I was kinda waiting for a certain thing to happen first - and today it did! This little chap, Oscar, was born at 11.45 this morning to my friend Danni. That's pretty exciting (he was only seven hours old in this picture). And as you may have guessed from the title of this post, I was asked to be the baby's godfather, which is also pretty exciting. It was very nice to be asked and I'm very chuffed, but at the same time it's a little scary because I've realised I'm at the age where I can be a godfather. I'm growing up!

I'm taking the godfather thing pretty seriously - I think I'm taking it more seriously than Danni had planned when she asked me! Apparently (according to the dictionary), a godfather is supposed to support the spiritual welfare of the child in question. Now that's a pretty big task, but I'll try to live up to it and hope I'll be able to help in some way.

So, on hearing that Oscar had been born, I headed into town to buy something for him. I'd already bought the card (so I was pleased that he was a boy after all, or that would have been £2 down the drain...) Now I really wanted to get him an elephant, I don't know why. I went into mothercare (written with a small 'm' because they do it too) to find my elephant. I found lots of little toys that were all very cute, etc. blah, blah but I really wanted an elephant. Fortunately my mum (yes, I was with my mum, so maybe I'm not so grown up after all) found a shelf of elephants. And I bought him Humphrey, which I kinda wanted to keep, but I would have felt a little guilty. I forgot to take a photo of him (Humphrey), but the good ol' internet helped me out here.

In other news:

1. The other day at cell group, we were discussing (I say 'we', but I didn't say anything because I was the newby), about how 'nice' Christians should be and what being 'nice' was all about. And then the next day at Songster (choir) practice, the reading was about being 'nice' and what that really involved, whether Christians are too nice, not nice enough, etc. Isn't it weird when that happens?

2. I've seen on these blogs that sometimes people discuss books they've been reading and give their views on different theories and ideas. So I thought I would do the same too. The other day I was reading Mr Busy (which Katie bought for me, because I have a reputation for being quite busy), which I sat and read and enjoyed, but I realised afterwards that My Busy isn't particularly busy at all, but merely does things quickly. This presents a few problems:
a. Mr Busy is, in fact, nothing like me at all.
b. Should I write and complain that Mr Busy is really the story of someone who would better be named 'Mr Fast' or 'Mr Quick', although this could overlap with Mr Rush, which I haven't read.
c. How many of the other Mr Men are fraudsters, claiming to be something they're not?

3. The other day, someone told me that my blog is unusual because it is, and I quote, 'pointless'. I didn't really know what to do with that, so I thought about it and put it on my blog.

4 comments:

Andy said...

Congratulations (to your friend who had the baby and to you for becoming a godfather)!

Maybe read "Mr. Pedantic" if such a book exists. And if it does, when you're finished with it, send it on to me... ;)

Anonymous said...

Hej!

Grattis till gudfadern! :) Det är något speciellt att få ett "eget" barn att ta hand om! PLUS att man får köpa massa presenter... ;)

Här i Umeå är det sommar och vi har semester!! Förra veckan åkte vi i bil genom hela Sverige - det finns endel att se! I veckan ska vi åka och hälsa på vårt gudbarn - då ska vi ha med oss en massa presenter!! =D

När kommer du till Sverige igen?
Vår gospelkör för ungdomar (som vi haft ett år och dit många unga ofrälsta har kommit... Som vi ska frälsa!!!!) behöver en ny körledare! ;) Vår ledare ska flytta... och alla är inte frälsta än!

Kram, Linnea

Katie said...

Your blog isn't pointless, it makes plenty of points. The person who said that was probably just being grumpy ;-)

And that's the last time I buy you a Mr. Men book. You can say goodbye to your dream of spelling out 'Mr. Men Library' by completing the set...

Liz said...

Hi John, Kirsty told me you'd responded to my appeal for thought - you can email me on liz.hall@salvationarmy.org.uk.

Interestingly, our Performing Arts/ Exploring Worship Day is at Southend next year and I really want to develop the bando bit of it. Simon White has been 'band facliltator' for the last two years and we have gone with the 'any instrument' informal approach. This has been successful in that we have pushed the boundary, but not many kids have taken the opportunity - I think because they might be frightened of the 'new thing'. Simon does know my thoughts and motivation and it would be good to share with you too. Look forward to hearing from you.