Friday, November 23, 2007

Brainstorm

The word 'Brainstorm' isn't really a good title for this post, but the other day someone told me we're not allowed to say it anymore, and that just made me want to use it all the more... I'm like a child.*

So, for this post - to be a little different - I thought I would just write down all the thoughts I had today. They are somewhat random, because that's what thoughts are like. Every time I had one, I wrote it down in my phone. And here they are:

Every song should have an alternative Amy Winehouse version.

How does Katie Melua keep a serious face when she sings those lyrics?

Why do so many people in London have paint on their trousers?

Is there a British film without Jim Broadbent in it?

While looking for Christian Christmas cards, it dawned on me that it's hard to find stylish ones. Then the lady standing next to me picked up some cards showing a dog wearing a tiara and I realised that maybe I'm just looking for the wrong thing.

(This wasn't the actual picture, but what a gem, eh?)
Lisa Harries and myself made a deal that we'd get married when we're 40 if neither of us is married by then. I wonder whether she's remembered that and how she's doing...

If all the raindrops WERE lemondrops and gumdrops, oh what a rain that WOULD be.

Someone at uni told me Ace of Base were rubbish. I still haven't gotten over that yet.
In the previous thought, I used the word 'gotten' and that is an Americanism which is becoming more and more common over here... It should be GOT!

When you give someone from Southend a drama script, why do they always become Cockneys? (cf. 'Ere, you seen'at Jesus fella?' for example... Always starting sentences with 'ere. Someone should research that phenomenon. I choose Andy).

Why do people insist on carrying their iPods in their hands while walking around London?

I can't take anyone seriously who rings the bell on their bike.

I really need to post the pictures from the London night... It was cool. I made my T-shirt myself. I ALMOST looked cromulent.

I saw a TV programme about a woman who said she was psychic. She said she once had a vision of a plane crash, and the very next day, a plane crashed off the coast of Hungary. 'That's impressive', I thought to myself. Even more impressive would be finding the coast of Hungary.

It doesn't matter who it is - a bodybuilder, a tough bouncer, a rock 'ard biker - as soon as someone takes homemade sandwiches out of their bag, they look vulnerable somehow.

Relating to my previous post:
As I was in Waterstones this week I saw a book entitled 'You Can Get Arrested for That' by Richard Smith (now there's a unique name). I have no idea what it's like, so I'm NOT recommending it, but it's about two guys who cross America trying to break stupid laws. Topical. The three mentioned on the back cover were:

It is illegal to lie down and fall asleep in a cheese factory (South Dakota)

It is illegal to play a trumpet with the intention of luring someone to a store (California)

and, my personal favourite:

It is illegal to catch a fish with a lasso (Tennessee).

Sweet.

*Apparently the PC term is 'thought shower', which I find completely stupid. However, that may have actually been more appropriate here...

5 comments:

Plumsauce10 said...

"Lisa Harries and myself made a deal that we'd get married when we're 40 if neither of us is married by then. I wonder whether she's remembered that and how she's doing..."

:)

Single and 18 years away from 40.... there's a chance yet. (I also thought we said a younger age than that and have a vague memory of there being other girls you were going to marry before me in the ages which hurt my heart when I first found out.)

Katie said...

Two thoughts that have occured to me recently:

Why do the numbers on a phone go down, but the numbers on a calculator go up?

Why do companies always offer 'free' gifts? Since when has a gift not been free?

And shouldn't it be 'neither of us are married?' ;)

Mitchenstein said...

Katie, Katie, Katie.

You trying to correct my language is like me trying to tell you how to make a crocodile out of clay. Or how best to stay within the lines while colouring.

I'm afraid 'neither' is singular, and consequently, the verb has to be 'is'.

Good try though!

Glyn Harries said...

Lemondrops as raindrops?!?! What kind of sick thought is that? There would be carnage! A penny from the Empire State Building can kill a person John. What do you think is going to happen when people are being pelted by billions of hard boiled sweets from the clouds. Sick sick sick sick sick!!

Anna said...

I still cant see a problem with acting 22, feeling 17 (as in closest thing to crazy)...just to remind you that you are 24 but still behave like 11, so maybe you are actually Katie Meluas inspiration when she writes her songs!