Sunday, March 02, 2008

Edinbruh

So, as a mentioned a few posts ago, I’ve just come back from a conference in Edinburgh. I had a fantastic time, met some great people and some very helpful contacts – and heard a LOT of Danish. Giving a presentation in Danish was a new experience for me, but I was happy with the final result.

So here are a couple of pictures from Edinburgh – unfortunately the weather wasn’t great, but it cleared up for our walking tour of the city. I’d been there once before with the Straight Ahead Gospel Choir (Salvation Army) but we hardly got to see anything on that occasion, and I had to spend most of my time translating for Glyn, who can’t understand Scottish people.

The Scottish Parliament, unfortunately designed by a Catalonian who didn’t like Scotland:
I’m kidding – I actually really liked the building, although it maybe isn’t what you expect for a Parliament. And I don’t quite get the bamboo-Scotland connection, but maybe I’m missing something there.
Not many people know that the landscaped grassy area in front of the Parliament building was actually designed by Ragdoll Productions.*
Getting ready for our meal, I realised that the trousers I’d bought were actually flares:
The back end of a cow (?!):
I loved this sign:
The (very wet) PhD students – apparently sitting in one of the cafes where JK Rowling wrote some of Harry Potter:
It really is a fantastic city to walk around:
Apparently this is a tourist attraction. So I took a photo:
OK – what can we turn it into?

*From the people who brought you the Teletubbies.

3 comments:

Anna said...

on that picture I can see for the first time: you DO look academic in that jumper!

Guy Puzey said...

Great pictures (and great blog too)! Love the signs! :)

Anonymous said...

The possibilities are Endless John