Monday, December 08, 2008

FAR11.2: Gjøgnum viðarlundina/Through the Park

The first thing you notice when you arrive in the Faroe Islands is that there are no trees. None. On all sides you’re surrounded by rocky mountains (well, not on all sides, because chances are that water will be on at least one of the sides, but on the other side of the water, chances are, you’ll see mountains, so actually, my original sentence can still stand). There have been attempts to add trees, but the Faroese wind doesn’t treat them too kindly – plant a tree, and chances are it won’t be there when you come back.

All this makes the beautiful park in the centre of Tórshavn quite a special place...
I went to the park for the first time on my third or fourth day in the Faroes, and immediately thought how great it would look once the snow came. The other week, the snow did come and I ran (yes) to the park with my camera to find that the rain had washed the snow away. I ended up with this picture of ducks walking on the frozen pond, which is quite cool in itself, actually:So today when I woke up and saw that a few inches of snow had come overnight, I rushed back to the park, which – as I had hoped – was looking very Narniary.*
So here’s a few pictures: *In The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe obviously.

3 comments:

Liz said...

...or Narnia-ish?

Andy said...

Narnia-esque, surely, John?

Katie said...

Lovely photos.

Now, I think it's time you updated your blog...