Saturday, December 13, 2008

FAR12.1: My Final Week

So this post marks my final week in the Faroes (for a little while – I will be back later in the new year). And a busy ol’ week it’s been!

In most parts of Europe (and the USA and Australia, I think), the Salvation Army uses big collection pots when collecting money for its work at Christmas. In the UK we use hand-held collecting tins (which I kinda like, because otherwise it’s hard to know what to do with your hands when standing there!), but you know the saying – when in the Faroes... so I gave it a go.

This week I did two collecting stints at the SMS Shopping Centre. Now I love doing this kind of thing. I love being out there, on the street, so that people can come and speak to me if they want, and so I can give a personal thank-you to the people who support the work of the Army so generously. So on the one hand I was looking forward to it. On the other hand, I was having to do the whole thing in Faroese and that’s a little more intimidating!

But I got through it – one seven-year girl came and asked me where the money was going, but she seemed satisfied with my answer as she skipped off.

On my way to the centre (a little nervous).

My pot.
Help Us to Help

What was funny is that people said exactly the same things here as they say at home: ‘I always support The Salvation Army – they do such good work’ or ‘Only pennies I’m afraid, but every little helps!’ and so on. I liked that.

Obviously I did a lot of finishing off for my work during the final week, but that doesn’t make a good blog post.

One thing I like about the Army in Tórshavn is that they have a games night every fortnight, where the younger ones (or anyone who wants to come actually) get together to play a load of games, and then finish the evening with a big game of football or volleyball. And it was a great way to spend my last night in the Faroes – although I was responsible for the religious ‘thought’ halfway through, but that seemed to go well (I also had to lead a meeting on my last Sunday – I think the officers there were doing their best to make my time in the Faroes an officership training programme). Just some of the gang.

I’m really going to miss the Faroes and the people here – I’ve had a great time and made some really good friends.

PS. I’ve begun to update mitchenstein 365, so make sure you have a look. And I think the photos are of a slightly higher standard this year, even if I do say so myself!

PPS. I’ve also added William Booth’s quote (in the right-hand column) in Faroese. This is the first one I’ve translated myself. And remember, if you know the quote, or can translate it, into a language I don’t have, let me know!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to read of all your adventures. I will hide the "officer training" comment from Lynley, because she will hassle you!

All the best for 2009. And keep up with the blogging.

Unknown said...

Hey... we use hand held tins in Australia too (or at least we did last time I was there for Christmas)

What is it that you do for work?

Mitchenstein said...

@ Stephen: Thanks for keeping that from Lynley - John should think more when he writes his blog ;)

@ Shaw: I'm a PhD student, writing about the Faroe Islands. And there aren't many people who can say that!

(Or would want to, truth be told).