Friday, December 26, 2008

Carolling

And it's lovely to be home!

Coming home just two weeks before Christmas meant I was straight into the carolling period (although I had already done some carolling in the Faroes). I really enjoy carolling – and there was quite a bit to do. In my first week back we sang at an old people’s home, played at an old people’s home, played at a local scout carol service and played and sang in the high street.

But for me, the highlight of the carolling season is on Christmas Eve, when the younger people from the Salvation Army go to various people’s houses from the corps who might be on their own/are unwell, etc. One of the families from the corps provides us with food at the end, before most of us go to the late night service at the hall. There were 16 of us this year, and it we had a great time. The last couple of years we’ve also taken a four-part band out with us, which really adds to it (and means that the people we sing to realise it’s The Salvation Army, and open the door!).

So here’s a few pictures from the evening (the quality’s not great, because I left my camera at home and had to use my phone, which doesn’t cope brilliantly with darkness):

Sitting in one living room:

Stacey playing the horn (very beautifully, I might add!):


And my favourite picture from the evening. This is me and my Nanna on the doorstep as we sang Silent Night, which she requested. This photo was made possible by the unbelievably boring baritone part in Silent Night, which is all on the same note until the final line.

No comments: