Friday, February 13, 2009

Why Not?

A lot of people I know have been writing these lists of 25 facts about themselves, and I thought I'd jump on the bandwagon. I don't usually like this kind of thing, but it's actually been pretty cool learning new things about people you've known for years. Regular readers of this blog will have seen a couple of these before...

1. I am mega-proud to be a Christian and a Salvationist.


2. I own ‘Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone’ in 19 languages.

3. When I was 20, I had a bike accident in Sweden and woke up in hospital with no idea why and no recollection of the previous two weeks.

4. I, bizarrely, have frequent dreams where I’m friends with Amy Winehouse.

5. I once presented the ‘God-spot’ on Faroese national television. In Faroese.


6. My favourite number is 51.

7. I often pretend to be Australian when shopping (occasionally Scottish or Welsh), and even convinced an Australian shop worker.

8. I have taken a photo every day since 30th November 2007, and have posted them all at here. Some are boring, but then so are some days.

9. I don’t like even numbers.

10. I go crazy when British people use the word ‘gotten’. It’s ‘got’. It’s always ‘got’. It’s not like ‘who’ and ‘whom’, you know, sometimes ‘who’, sometimes ‘whom’. It’s always ‘got’. Every time you write the word ‘gotten’, stop, press delete three times, and carry on. Just a little tip to help make the world a better place.

11. I reckon I spend a good 50% of my time in my imagination. Seriously. I’m there now.

12. Because of my studies, I have lived for a time in Germany, Sweden and the Faroe Islands. The best and the toughest times of my life.


13. My brother and I have exactly the same sense of humour. It can get quite freaky when we say exactly the same thing at exactly the same time. Once we both, completely spontaneously, burst into ‘We Wish You A Merry Christmas’ in exactly the same key, with no indication from either of us that we were going to start singing. Bizarre. We just stopped and stared at each other.

14. I recently started a gospel choir and am loving it. I am at my very happiest when singing fantastic songs with great friends. It doesn’t matter what kind of day I’ve had, or what worries are usually at the back of my mind – when I’m singing, I’m in a whole other world.

15. I love Elmo, Mars Bars and Christmas Cake.

16. I actually wrote a letter of complaint (well, more a ‘letter of concern’) when they took Yoghurty Special K off the shelves. But who’s had the last laugh now?


17. People blowing raspberries makes me feel sick – me telling you that involves a considerable amount of trust.

18. Whenever I’m writing a list of things to do, I always put some things I’ve done already so I can tick them off.

19. I was once stopped on Tottenham Court Road and photographed for a modelling agency. True!

20. At school I once got three detentions in one day, including one for fighting. I’m not proud of it. But I obviously am, or I wouldn’t have put it on here.

21. I’m a bit of a fan of lists (clearly) – I even have a list of every Salvation Army corps (church) I’ve ever seen (and have occasionally been on fairly lengthy walks to find them... Apologies to anyone I’ve ever dragged on one of those).

22. I seem to be quite changeable in appearance – what that means is that I always get a slight surprise whenever I look in the mirror, because I don’t look quite how I was expecting. It also means that people who knew me when I was younger never recognise me in the street. That has its plus sides.

23. I started to lose my hair about 2 years ago, I reckon. I got so worked up about it, but now I really couldn’t care less. I have a nice face ;)

24. I don’t lend out books to my friends, because I can’t stand it when they get creases down their spines. So don’t even ask, and we’ll save ourselves embarrassment.

25. John doesn’t share food.

4 comments:

Katie said...

The only fact I wasn't aware of already was no. 6. Good to know.

And I may have said this to you before, but it's so cool that you've lived abroad. I'm gonna do that one day... :)

Anonymous said...

Always good to get to know you better, John. There are many things you can be proud of. But consider the contradiction of being a Christian and not sharing food. Take care. antina.

Mitchenstein said...

@ Katie: You knew I didn't like even numbers?

@ Antina: Hiya! Nice to hear from you! Yes, that does look a little weird, doesn't it? Well, what I mean is, that if I'm going out or something, and a friend wants a dessert, etc. I'll buy them a dessert - it's when they don't get a dessert, and ask to have some of mine! (Katie).

Katie said...

Sometimes, I don't even want some of your dessert. I just like making you miserable. ;)

And I did know about the even numbers thing, because you've mentioned how you don't like it when your age is an even number. Apart from 24, which I think you were ok about...