Monday, June 29, 2009

FAR22.1: Excursion Thursday (Part Three)

Destination: Vestmannabjørgini

It’s often said that there are three places you have to visit if you want to be able to say you’ve ‘seen’ the Faroe Islands: Suðuroy (the South Island), Mykines and Vestmannabjørgini, or the Vestmanna Bird Cliffs.* I’d seen the first two (see here and here for Suðuroy, and here for Mykines), but still needed to see the Vestmanna Bird Cliffs, the top tourist attraction on the Faroe Islands.

Two of my Faroese friends, Sámal and Henrietta, had never been to the bird cliffs either (so I guess they have never really ‘seen’ the Faroe Islands), so I thought it would be good if the three of us went and checked them out – I also wanted it to be a little thank you to them for everything they’ve done for me while I’ve been here.

The weather was terrible during the day, but turned wonderful as soon as we stepped onto the boat for the tour – after the fantastic weather in Mykines, my Faroese friends have begun to think that I always bring sunshine with me. I like that.

I’ll just show you a few pictures from the tour – the scenery was amazing, but, as everyone knows, it never looks as great on photos as it does when you’re actually there: This was our tour guide – and in thirty years (or something like that), he’d never been able to do a tour in just Faroese, with no Danish or English translation needed. I liked that too.
Sámal and Henrietta sporting the lovely hats we had to wear as the boat sailed in and out of the cliffs.
*Obviously Tórshavn is another place you’d have to visit, but I can’t get my head around the idea that anyone would actually come to the Faroe Islands without coming to Tórshavn, so that doesn’t need to be on the list.

No comments: