Monday, November 10, 2008

FAR8.1: Travelling South...

I’ve been told that you can’t say you’ve been to the Faroe Islands unless you’ve been to Suðuroy, the South Island. So although I’d been here for a month and a half, I still couldn’t say I’d been to the Faroe Islands – until this weekend.

So when the opportunity arose to go to Suðuroy with a couple of officers from the Salvation Army, I jumped at the chance. And I had a fantastic time – the scenery was stunning, the people were so friendly (I ate a LOT of cake) and it was great to see some more of the country.

One of the things I was most looking forward to was the journey. It takes two and a half hours (usually it takes just two hours from Tórshavn, but the ferry is currently in Denmark being serviced, so we were using an older ferry, St. Ola) and I’d heard the scenery was great. I have a bit of a thing about islands, and I loved travelling through the fog, seeing islands I’d heard of, but never seen, suddenly appear from the mist – it must be the romantic in me!
So I made a little video of some of the trip – it’s a little different to the other videos, and I don’t know whether it’ll be particularly interesting for people that aren’t my mum (and most of you aren’t), but I quite like it...
But before you look at it, here’s a map of the Faroes (complete with spelling mistakes) so you can get your bearings:
As I said, we were using an older ferry, which had evidently come in from Estonia. Now my Estonian phrasebook was not one of the things I had expected to need in the Faroes (stupid, I know), so I was a bit concerned to see signs like this, which are clearly very important (check out the number of exclamation marks!), and not have a clue: But then I realised that you just read out the Estonian words and it sounds like English anyway...St. Ola: A highlight was a visit to the other Salvation Army corps (church) on the islands, located in the village (or, as far as the Faroes are concerned, metropolis) of Vágur (pop. 1,400):Somehow I got roped into singing a song in the meeting – and for the very first time, I accompanied myself on the piano, singing ‘He Leadeth Me’. I was so nervous, because I’m not that confident on the piano, but it seemed to go OK...

So thank you to everyone who made the weekend great :)

No comments: