Wednesday, November 19, 2008

FAR9.1: Making My Own Entertainment

So this week, a lot of the regular things at the Salvation Army were cancelled for various reasons, and people were very busy, etc. so it meant that I had to make my own entertainment... And make my own entertainment I did!

(Obviously I got a lot of work done too – an awful lot of work done actually – but you need to unwind a little, don’t you?)

1. I went cultural. Now, anyone who knows me, knows that I’m not a particular fan of exhibitions and museums, etc. I’d much rather just walk around a place to experience it. But according to my guidebook to the Faroe Islands, no trip to Tórshavn is complete without a trip to the Faroese National Museum... Well, I had nothing to do, so I checked it out!

While a lot of the exhibits didn’t interest me, I thought a couple of things were very cool. Check out one of the early Faroese flags (pictured next to the actual Faroese flag):

How great is that? I don’t know why they had to change it... (although it may not have done much for the Faroese standing in the wider world).

I also saw the national treasure of the Faroe Islands. Now I’d heard a lot about the Kirkjubøur pew ends (Kirkjubøarstólarnir), and had been wanting to see them. Carved in the Middle Ages, they were taken to the National Museum in Denmark, but returned to the Faroe Islands in 2002.I don't know how many of them there are, but they surround you on all sides as you walk into the room, and they all have different designs. They’re beautiful, and the Faroese are very rightly proud of them. (You can’t say you don’t learn stuff from mitchenstein...).What else did I do?

2. I went walking. I did a LOT of walking. Like Forest Gump, only walking. (It's a pretty nice place to stroll). 3. I wrote a short story about Elmo and the National Roller Skating Team of the Faroe Islands.

4. I did this:I’d have loved to have seen my mum’s face when she saw this!

1 comment:

Anna said...

OH. MY. WORD! I thought you'd just used some gel!!!