Thursday, October 29, 2009

Eleven Hours in Iceland...

When I was booking my flight back to the Faroes, I was pretty excited when I worked out that, this time, it would actually be cheaper to fly via Iceland than via Denmark, That meant I'd get to see my Icelandic friend, Jóhanna, who I hadn't seen for a couple of years, and, well, Iceland is just a pretty cool place anyway!

There's something I love about a country where people use a beautiful, ancient language to discuss pizzas, clubbing and cinema times, where the scenery looks like something from another planet and where the cleanest people smell like egg.*

The only downside was that I'd just get eleven hours there. That would give me time to get to Keflavík Airport, get to Jóhanna's place, sleep a little bit, get up and get back to Reykjavík City Airport - this wasn't going to be a big sightseeing trip!

Fortunately, we actually managed to spend about half an hour in the city centre - and the fact I was limited to half an hour was probably a good thing. Due to the economic situation, Iceland has become MUCH cheaper than it was when I was last there, five years ago (for now - and Icelandic cheap still doesn't mean cheap cheap), which meant that books, clothes, etc. seemed pretty tempting. It was good for my own economic situation that my shopping spree was somewhat limited. And then it was straight off to the airport for my flight to the Faroes (on which there was an Icelandic AND a Faroese popstar!).

So this photo is the only proof I have that I was in Iceland at all:

And here's a rather nice photo of me and Jóhanna:
And, the way we were - the two of us back in 2005:
* I should add that this is due to the amount of sulphur in Icelandic water, I believe. The smell does go away very quickly, but anyone just leaving the shower will have the beautiful smell of egg about them for a good ten minutes or so...

No comments: