Friday, April 16, 2010

Crossing the Atlantic: Part Four

Well, this wasn't quite how I had expected today to pan out... Up at 5am this morning, I managed to get to Copenhagen Airport on time, get checked-in, and get all set for my flight to Greenland.

Kangerlussuaq, here we come!

At 9.00am we were told about a volcano eruption in Iceland and that they weren't sure when we'd be able to leave. At 10.00am they told us the flight had been cancelled. So, I'm not going anywhere today (apparently the airport's going to close tonight). Argh.

10.35am
So now I'm sitting in the Transfer Centre, waiting for my number to be called so I can go and find out what they're going to do with me... If I'd realised they were using the number system, I would have been a little quicker in getting here! I have number 099, and they're currently on 059. Hmm.

My View.

11.00am
Number 077.

11.08am
Glad I'm flying with Air Greenland. The guy from SAS just announced over the system: "My colleagues are doing all they can. We didn't have any control over the volcano. We're not masters of nature." The mood I'm in (just tired), that would have made me angry!

11:30am
Number 099! (The last bit went quickly as they told all the Danes to go home!)

There's something unsatisfactory about arriving at an airport, going through check-in, customs, etc. only to leave the same airport again 4 hours later.

Fortunately I managed to find my case!

Well, I'm lucky because they've put me in a hotel for the night - from what I've heard from England, that's not happening over there. I'm sat on a bus full of Greenlanders and being taken somewhere. Well, this is an adventure in itself. Although I wish I'd learned more Greenlandic, because an old man just started singing a song and all the others laughed.

11:53am
I've just decided I'm going to treat myself to a bag of Haribo fried eggs tonight. Still on the bus...

12:02pm
The hotel is very nice, but absolutely in the middle of nowhere. So there probably won't be any Haribo eggs. And check-in isn't possible until 3pm. Right.

12:26pm
But all is forgiven! Lunch AND dinner all thrown in! And I don't know what have the stuff is, so it must be good!

Waiting... So I took a photo of myself.

16:15pm
Well THIS is an interesting development! The hotel doesn't have enough rooms, so we have to share... Not great. Another traveller, AC (that's the name, not me being secretive) came and asked if I had anyone to go with. Which I obviously didn't. So, in a rather awkward situation (for both of us), the two of us went to find our room and get to know each other!

We're getting on really well, and we're going into the centre of Copenhagen tonight. It looks like we'll be here for a couple of nights, so it's great we've hit it off (I keep imagining how it could have gone...).

A weird day. And one that hasn't quite finished in the country I'd intended it to!

But this card in the hotel room cheered me up (I'm shattered - that's the only explanation I have. It means 'speed' in Danish):

No comments: