Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Help Me Buy a Goat!

Well, as most of you know, I’m very proud of my long, flowing locks (with good reason!). Most people (believe it or not, Katie) have actually been very complimentary about my hair, but unfortunately, there is a small, but growing, group of people (led by my sister), who believe that all good things must come to an end. That end has come – the hair should go (they say).

I REALLY, REALLY don’t want to cut off my hair – I think it would be a crime. But it dawned on me that maybe some good could come out of this. If we could raise some money for a good cause, then I would be prepared to see how far back my hairline has actually gone.

Here’s the deal: The Salvation Army has a project, where people can buy animals for people in Africa: a goat for £14, a pig for £30, chickens for £6.50, and so on. ‘A gift that keeps on giving’ is the slogan and the idea is that these animals can be bred, sold, etc. and provide an ongoing income for needy families. It would be great to see how much money could be raised for this very good cause. The Salvation Army works all over Africa (and in 111 countries around the world!), so the money is going directly to the people who need it. The project doesn’t just involve animals, but water pumps, books for schools, seniors' meals, etc. I guess I’d have to see how much money we can get and then see how it can best be spent.

So, there you go. Why am I telling you this? I think you know :-) Next time you see me, sponsor me! It can be a little embarrassing (for both parties) to go around asking for sponsors, so I thought now you can approach me if you want to sponsor me to go through this sheer ordeal – and you can also know a little about it beforehand.

I’ll keep this page updated with how it’s going, just in case you want to check it out, and I’ll put some more information on here, as well as some photos once the horrible deed has been done… ;-)

Any money would help - £1 buys a senior citizen’s meals for a day, £170 buys a cow! Let’s see what we get… I’m aiming to get it done in late September, to enable me to get as much money as possible and so that I can prey on my new university friends once term starts!

Thanks for reading, take care and hope to see you all soon! (armed with my sponsorship form – guys at uni, just to let you know that I’m expecting graduation day to be a sponsorship-fest) ;-)

Help me make a pig difference :-D

4 comments:

Glyn Harries said...

Ok mate, I'll tell you what:

£2 for a crop.

£5 for completely shaven.

£10 if you only shave the middle off and leave the sides (a la Andy from Little Britain) and leave it like that for a week.

Anonymous said...

Hurrah!!!

However, I'm very aware that the bigger the fuss I make over your hair, the money you're gonna expect from me so I'll leave the comment at that and be quiet... ;)

(There, it only took you 4 years to work out how to make me shut up!)

PS. John's such a nice guy.

Anonymous said...

John, you don't know me but take it from a fellow receder...

Noble idea, but if it all goes, people WILL stare... and point... and laugh.

Got my hair cropped short 7 years ago after spending my teens with curtains and was dismayed to see how far that bad boy of a hairline had disappeared.

I'm currently still getting over the shock and growing as much hair as possible while I still can.

In an attitude of future baldy solidarity think of yourself (the goat can wait)!

Just joking with the last comment, by the way, it's a great cause...

Daniel said...

The idea is good, this welfare thing I mean. The rest about getting your hair cut, I am just quite excited how that will look like at the end.

By the way, I guess, my hear will be cut, too, when i go to the forces in October... So see you next time with short hair us both. :-p