Saturday, July 01, 2006

Your Mission: Convince the choir you're a top French horn player

Today I've been set a bit of a challenge... Tonight I'm playing French horn in a concert. Now admittedly, I used to be a pretty good French horn player, if I do say so myself - I was top horn in the regional youth orchestra :-D But that was a long time ago!

This morning I got a phone call saying that there's a big concert tonight, but the French horn player has dropped out due to an illness - would I be prepared to play in the concert tonight? I said yes.

The problem is that I really haven't played French horn for ages. Almost three years it must be, perhaps longer. I don't even have a French horn. I've completely forgotten the fingerings (and there's two sets of fingerings to learn). The concert starts in 8 hours and I'm panicking ever so slightly. Obviously, the concert organisers don't know these facts (apart from the fact I don't have a French horn - they're providing one tonight).

So, armed with my internet print-out of French horn fingerings (which I'm hoping I'll be able to have on the stand without anyone seeing it), I am going to attempt to pass myself off as a good French horn player. The sort of player that can step in at the last moment and save the day. Much in the style of that Faking It show or James Bond, I like to think (not that James Bond was ever required to play a French horn, but if you think about it (really hard), what I'm doing is very similar to the kind of stuff he does...)

This should be good.

4 comments:

Glyn Harries said...

So...how did it go?

Timmy Magic said...

My sentiments exactly - blog post on it please!

Anonymous said...

Jæja.. hvernig gekk?

Trúi ekki að þú sért strax búin að gefast upp að blogga ;) Koma svo!

Bestu kveðjur frá Íslandinu :)

Sendi þér tölvupóst fljótlega, búið að vera mikið að gera síðan ég kom heim frá Danmörku..

Daniel said...

Lol! Really funny!

Yeah! How did it go? Please let us know. :-)