Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Mitchenstein at Eurovision

No, of course I haven't been selected to sing at Eurovision (not this year anyway), but you can't have failed to notice that it's May soon and that means Eurovision will soon be knocking on our doors.

Now, you may not know this, but for many years, countries had to sing in one of their official languages. A few years ago (I don't know when), they (whoever 'they' is) changed the rule so that countries can sing in any language they like. This was of course great for countries like Iceland and Finland who generally speak good English and could now sing in a language that other people had a chance of understanding. However, some other countries don't quite have the English skills they think they have. They can be kind of creative with the English language, I feel.

So as I felt like a break from revision, I decided to have a go at writing a song, Eurovision-stylee. I think you'll agree that it's beautiful. It's called 'Please Don't To Cry'. (And what started out as a stupid five minute joke actually took a lot longer.)

(NOTE: I even included the customary 'name-as-many-other-places-as-possible-so-that-they'll-vote-for-us' trick. A sure-fire winner.)
(NOTE 2: This may be the ultimate in the procrastination that Glyn was talking about).

Please Don't To Cry

(Verse 1)
When I saw you and I said goodbye,
I doesn't to know that you were to cry,
I looked on you and said, 'Why, why?'
You looked on me and did a big sigh.

(Chorus)
So please don't to cry,
If we can just try,
We can fly high and high in the sky,
So don't say goodbye
Or I will die.
You are the person I've been thinking at.

(Verse 2)
I said at you 'It can't be so bad',
You looked on me and said 'I'm so sad',
I put my hand upon your shoulderpad,
I went to home and put my ghetto blaster on.

(Bridge)
You stand in front with your beauty,
I am filled with bewonderment and duty,
I love you like Soo is loving Sooty,
You are the person I've been thinking at.

Yes, you are the person I've been thinking at.

(Chorus 2)
So please don't to cry,
I have new hi-fi,
I love you right up and up at the sky,
So don't tell a lie,
Please look at my eye,
And see you are the person I've been thinking at.

I love you in Tallinn and Berlin and Birming... ham.

My love is precipitating down,
My love is precipitating down,
My love is precipitating down,

At you.

8 comments:

Katie said...

Wow. You've obviously missed your calling as an international song writer... The Soo and Sooty part is my favourite. It really makes the song.

I really hope you get this job, I think maybe its time you channelled your energy into something useful.

Katie :-)

P.S. Well done, by the way! You're doing very well. I was wrong not to believe you.

Andy said...

John, that is a thing of beauty. The only thing I'm struggling with is that I can hear it in my head sung in a Borat-style voice.

Ta for the comment when I got back, too. Go to China, it's flipping brilliant with a crazy language!

Anonymous said...

Hej John!

great song, especially the precipitating-part is really cool for someone, who studies the rain formation over forest fires :)

By the way, follow this link and you can generate a song in a billion different languages. The perfect tool for the next eurovision-winner :)

http://www.bodowartke.de/liebesliedgenerator/

Ahoi
Philipp

Anonymous said...

Ahoi Slatko
da du der eine bist i have been thinking at, I just wanted to tell you the one very important part of all lovesongs you forgot:
uuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhh ououou yea yea yea...:-)
Danke für die CD, aber ich mag den Anna-song nicht so sehr wie ich gedacht habe, ist ja schrecklich traurig. Bin aber schon ein Bisschen "Kompromisse" -fan :-).
PS: Its not only the not-anglophones who make mistakes in english grammer when writing songs, here an extract of the irish Kelly family (famous only in the not english speaking countries, as they dont understand them) (except switzerland, because swiss people usually just understand !everything!)
Roses of red, fall in my head :-)

Glyn Harries said...

That is possibly the best thing I have ever read (and indeed deserving of a mention in the procrastination hall of fame). Please tell me it has a tune.

Mitchenstein said...

Oh there's a tune.

Now I just need help for my next project:

'Please Don't To Cry' - the video.

(And Andy - that's the kind of accent that brings out the best in the song)

Evie said...

Do you still want this? Sorry it took so long! Here it is in Latvian: Kamēr vien sievietes raudās, kā viņas to dara tagad, es cīnīšos; kamēr mazi bērni būs izsalkuši kā viņi ir tagad, es cīnīšos; kamēr vīri dosies cietumā, iekšā un ārā, iekšā un ārā, es cīnīšos; kamēr vien būs kāda tumša dvēsele bez Dieva gaismas, es cīnīšos. Es cīnīšos līdz pašam galam!

Daniel said...

Gooooood.... now I finally managed to get my blogger-account transformed, so that I finally will hopefully be able to post what I wanted to post almost two weeks ago, I guess. So here we go:


Haha!! Funny song, really! I had to laugh...
Sounds quite German to me,
even though it's kind of English. :D
German with English vocabulary - hope you're not making fun of me especially. :P

See ya,

- Me -