Friday, June 08, 2007

Detective Me

So I was sitting on the tube this morning, reading my copy of the Metro (free newpaper given out in London in the morning). And I see an advert for Piriton, an anti-allergy tablet. I look a little closer at the picture and see a nice-looking High Street, with a nice row of shops and a beautiful view of the Thames and the London Eye in the background. 'That's a nice High Street', I thought. And then I saw it. Saw through what they'd done. This lovely High Street in Westminster (presumably) is in fact Southend High Street, not in Westminster, but Essex, with the shop fronts changed and the London Eye added in the background. How observant am I? (Southenders can feel free to confirm this - you can see Woolworths and the Royals Shopping Centre, people!). Now Piriton, did you really need to add the London Eye? Is the world's longest pier (recently voted top pier by the National Pier Association) not enough of a landmark?

Even though it's everywhere in the news at the moment, and we're probably all a little fed up of it, I'm just adding this last bit so I can remember what was going on when I read this post in a few years' time:
The new Olympic logo. Now, those of us who are fairly familiar with the United Kingdom, would have known in advance that the powers that be would try to create something 'fun', 'groovy' and 'modern', yet fail (any of the parties would have done it - it's just how we do things). However, in actually developing a logo that hurts people, I think they surpassed all our expectations. Tony Blair said that this logo would be life-changing. I'm not exactly sure how, but I'm sure it will be.

4 comments:

Daniel said...

In my opinion it's not even close to Yves Klein's paintings...

Anonymous said...

Hi John
Marco just sent me his opinion about your finlandish translation, he sais its perfect except one little thing:
VAIKEUTTA means difficulty, but you mean VAOLA (Light)
I hope that information is correct, I acctually thought right from the beginning that there was something fishy about this vaikeutta word :-D
Take care

Katie said...

What's the allergy written next to the London Eye? I'm curious.

I'm surprised they picked that landmark, I personally would've thought the Monument of Agriculture was more widely recognised as a symbol of... allergicness.

I'm really, really tired.

(4 weeks and 3 days! I've officially started the countdown)

Evie said...

Thanks for your prayers. We had a great weekend and now have 6 new officers in Latvia!