Thursday, June 28, 2007

Happy Birthday! (Part Six)

Announcing...

The Mitchenstein Blog Awards 2007
(The 'Mitchies')
"As prestigious as you want them to be."

Welcome to the Mitchenstein Blog Awards 2007, as part of the Mitchenstein first birthday week. Yes, it's pretentious and presumptuous to have my own blog awards, but why not? (Other than the reasons I just gave).

So, this year there are five Mitchies to be presented, perhaps next year there will be more categories ('Best Supporting Blog', etc.) but for this year they are these:

Best Project Blog 2007
Celebrating blogs that have a specific aim or project in mind.

Winner: Owen Powell and Alex Horne - World in One City

Best Newcomer 2007
Celebrating those new bloggers who have made an impact. This year the award has been split between two new bloggers, both of whom occasionally take slight breaks from blogging, but with their posts and their comments have given their all to promote the blogging cause.
(Who writes this stuff?!)

Winners:
Andy Hill - Old Enough to Know Better

Lifetime Achievment Award
Potentially a one-off award for 2007, this acknowledges those who jumped on the blogging bandwagon at an early stage and have never... well, jumped off it.

Winner: Tim Jones - Magic Musings

Most Addictive Link 2007
Celebrating those who are to shoulder the blame that you never get any work done.

Winner: Graeme Howell - The Impossible Quiz

It should be pointed out that in a very close second place was Chris Hinton with his Flight of the Hamster.

Best Blog Post 2007
This is the Mitchies' equivalent of the Best Movie Oscar. This is, in my opinion, the big one, celebrating the best blog post written during the year under review.

And the winner is...


Keep on blogging!

N.B. This year it is entirely by chance that no-one won two Mitchies. I certainly didn't choose my favourite blogs and then invent categories for them. I had the categories and then chose the blogs which best suited them. Honest. It just dawned on me that next year, people should also be able to vote for who they think is the most deserving... What an idea!

8 comments:

Andy said...

At the risk of party-pooping, causing controversy, having things thrown at me for sheer pedantry and losing my Mitchie, Glyn's post was in May 2006...

Ithangyew...

Mitchenstein said...

I had thought no-one would pick up on that! I should have known... Yes, the post was written in May 2006, but I figured that as these were the very first Mitchenstein awards, then that would be ok.

I reckon it's ok.

Have no fear, your Mitchie is safe.

Glyn Harries said...

Wow. It is with great honour that I accept this Mitchie. I would like to thank everyone for their support but most of all I would like to offer my heart-felt appreciation towards Andi Peter's who let me down all those years ago. Couldn't have done it without you big guy.

Timmy Magic said...

I also want to say thanks for my Mitchie. We have been through some happy times (can't remember specific ones) and sad times (the Twinkee incident) but its been a fun ride.

Will Magic win another Mitchie next year though?

AndyMac said...

Are these awards voted for by the general public or is it a select band of Blogging Critics that sit in a darkened room pondering through numerous blogs (like the real oscars?)

Also, if you're going for a real 'Oscar' type extravaganza how about:

- best foreign language blog
- best short blog
- best art design and costume blog
- best supporting blogger?

Mitchenstein said...

All good ideas, Andymac, all good ideas.

Unforunately, this first set of Mitchie award winners was decided by one person in a darkened room pondering through numerous blogs, but next year things are going to be bigger and better and slightly more democratic. I have all the plans in place...

It's a shame we have to wait for next year, but I need to allow the current winners to revel in their glory for a little while yet. Or something like that.

Daniel said...

if you let the readers vote I'll never get a Mitchie! (only due to the fact that they don't understand German, of course, there is no doubt of the quality of my blog.. ^^)

this blog award thing is a really cool idea! *thumps up*

Alex and Owen said...

Wow!

We won an award!

This will not be forgotten, and if we ever have our much-vaunted 192-people-in-one-place party, we'll invite you along for an official presentation.

Thank you so much.

Owen and Alex