Friday, February 15, 2008

Then and Now

This week I had the opportunity to go to Copenhagen, Denmark. It’s a great city that I visited once before when I was fifteen (nine years ago now...) but as that was on a travelling holiday through Denmark and into Sweden, I didn’t remember too much of Copenhagen itself, until I started walking around the town centre and it all came back to me. Coming home, I looked through the family’s photo album from the trip and saw that I‘d taken a lot of very similar photos this time round... A fifteen-year-old and a twenty-four-year-old John walking up the Round Tower.
At the top of the Round Tower: Outside the Resistance Museum (which I’ve never actually been in): The Amalienborg Palace: The Little Mermaid: Being a bit of a thinker (at times), I got thinking about all that has happened in the time since I was last in Copenhagen. A lot. On that trip I spoke my first ever Danish sentence (which probably went along the lines of ‘En Big Mac, to McChicken Sandwiches, en Happy Meal, tre milkshakes og en kaffe, tack’, but still). Now, after having studied Swedish for five years, Danish is now my main language, and I’m currently writing a PhD on it – I never would have seen that coming. It would be kinda cool to have a conversation with the fifteen-year-old John and give him a little advice about what was coming up in the next nine years, but he’ll just have to work it out for himself. In those days, I was a bit of a poser in front of the camera, but not any more.

7 comments:

Katie said...

What happened to the World's Tallest Man?

And am very impressed with the photography... it must have taken a really skilled photographer to capture those shots. Especially the one with the guards in the background. Amazing.

Anna said...

where do people speak igbo? Glad your dresscode has changed a bit since u were 15, lol

Mitchenstein said...

I'll have you know Anna, that in England in 1999, jumper with a ring of T-shirt sticking out the bottom (of the jumper) was the epitome of trendy.

Igbo is spoken in Nigeria.

And the prize for the most random joining together of sentences in a comment goes to Anna!

(And I think he died Katie - although I guess someone took over from him pretty soon after).

Daniel said...

Ich lese übrigens noch regelmäßig deinen Blog (wenn ich dazu komme ;) )... auch wenn ich meistens nichts schreibe. Aber daher jetzt! ^^
Lange nichts mehr von dir gehört.. Wie geht's dir denn sonst (außer dem, was ich hier lese)?
Viele Grüße,

Daniel

Andy said...

Gave you my e-mail, John, what did you want? I'll be at Councils Sudnay afternoon/evening if you wanna chat there?

Might be running around like a headless chicken trying to get all the AV stuff sorted though...

Anonymous said...

Hejsan Käre vän!

Roligt att se att du bloggar lika flitigt som jag! ;-).

Hoppas att allt är bra! Jag och Helena kommer kanske till London under våren. Vi får se om pengarna räcker men förhoppningsvis så räcker dom i alla fall till en långweekend.

Jag har fått beviljat fyra års forskning på universitetet. *Yipee*. Vi hörs!

Kram från Stockholm

Anonymous said...

Hei John, wo bist denn du??? frag maul Paul ob er dir meine neusten Facebook pics zeigt! einige sind echt lustig...good fun!!! habe gerade geschenke fuer euch alle (also, nicht ganz alle, aber einige) gekauft....bye, see ya!
Anna