Saturday, April 12, 2008

Chavs and Celebs

This is a cab, innit?

1. I recently read this story in the Metro newspaper and thought it really deserved sharing.
This is what happens when a 19-year-old chavette thinks it would be a good idea to use Cockney rhyming slang when phoning directory enquiries to book a cab from her home in London to Bristol Airport.

Operator: Hello, Directory Enquiries.
Chavette: Hi. I wanna Joe Baxi.
Operator: Er... (checks) ... I’m afraid I can’t find anyone by that name.
Chavette: (irritated) It ain’t a person, it’s a cab, innit.

The operator duly gives her what she asks for and puts her through to the nearest supplier of cabinets, Displaysense.

The sales advisor at Displaysense seemed equally confused.

Chavette: (fuming) Look love, how hard is it? All I want is your cheapest cab, innit. I need it for 10am. How much is it?

The sales advisor tells her £180. The stroppy teenager gives her address before hanging up.
The next morning, rather than being picked up by a cab, the young woman had the cabinet dropped off.

Priceless.

2. One of the interesting things about being in London is that you occasionally see ‘famous’ people while walking around (I usually just see people from Big Brother, who generally hang around Oxford Circus – although I recently saw Connie Fisher and Dave Gorman too.*)

Have any of you seen the new Kit Kat advert with Girls Aloud? Where Sarah Harding’s walking down the steps in front of all the photographers, before she stops to have a break, have a Kit Kat. That advert was filmed on the steps of UCL. As I walk to the station, I generally walk around the front or around the back of UCL, depending on how I feel at the time – it makes no difference. However, on this night it did make a difference, because if I’d walked around the front, I would have seen this: Instead I walked around the back and saw this: Not that I’m the biggest Girls Aloud fan in the world, but it would have been interesting, and would have perhaps provided a slightly better photo for the mitchenstein365 page.

*Not together, I should add. He seemed to be wearing a t-shirt that said ‘I’m Not a Celebrity’ which threw me off at first. Just like when Girls Aloud did a French version of Can’t Speak French. My mind can’t deal with that.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Oh, ok... so you text me when you see Coco Roco (or whatever her name is) but not when you see Connie Fisher or Dave Gorman, two people who I actually have heard of and really like? Where's the logic John?

(I worry slightly about how easy people think I am to impress... the other day I got a random text from a friend saying he'd just seen Alf Garnett get into a swimming pool, and that I was the only person who might care. I don't care.)