Wednesday, August 13, 2008

A Normal Life

Man. Today the phone’s been ringing non-stop. I’ve had emails, texts, constant ‘bings’ from MSN...

And why?

Well, word seems to have got out that I’m now quite a celebrity in Germany. Yes, ‘John Mitchinson’ is on its way to becoming a bit of household name amongst our Teutonic cousins. Consequently, friends have been ringing non-stop, desperate to ask ‘Will you still remember us when you’re rich and famous?’ Chances are, I will.

So what’s the background to all this?

When I was in Germany for a Salvation Army music camp, a very large and influential German newspaper (the Kieler Nachrichten) decided to run a story about me, along with a photo. I didn’t ask for all the attention that came with it – it just happened. I can’t say I’m not enjoying the stares of recognition as I walk down the street, but ultimately, all I want is a normal life.

Here’s the article:


And here’s the zoomed-in picture:

But through it all, I’m still just Johnny from the block.

While this may have been a lot for you to take in, I do have one other bit of news to share with you.

People, our time has come.

With the eyes of the world currently on Beijing (she wasn’t singing!), it’s only natural that our thoughts should drift towards the next Olympic games, London 2012.

We’ve seen the fantastic buildings in Beijing – and we’re compelled to think of the fine London landmarks that will house our own Olympic events: Horse Guards Parade, the Millennium Dome, Wimbledon and... a Salvation Army farm in Hadleigh, Essex.

That’s right, the mountain bike event is going to be held here in our little corner of south-east Essex and on Salvation Army land – how cool is that? (Click here for proof).

You read it here first (possibly).

(Read on for more about the music camp in Germany and my first-ever video!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry, this was my bell...
If I had known about this foto...
This will never ever happen again...
Greetings from Germany from the little City of Victory...

Katie said...

I just told my dad that fascinating bit of information (really built it up with 'YOU WILL NEVER GUESS WHAT I WAS JUST TOLD...') and he just said, 'Oh, yes, I meant to tell you about that. I've known for ages...'

Grrrr.