Monday, August 18, 2008

Who'da Thunk?

I never thought I'd see Great Britain in third place halfway through the Olympics, ahead of Germany, Australia and Russia.So we can't play football, rugby or cricket, but cycling, rowing and sailing are ours!

Whatever happens now, in the words of Mariah Carey, 'they can't take that away from us'!*

Speaking of Australia, as we were a few lines ago, I had a little more to say about my recent trip down under, but the Salvation Army music camp got in the way. I hope you'll be able to excuse the lack of chronology in mitchenstein's most recent posts.

My sister Caroline and her husband Brettmond (whose name is actually Brett, but it sounds like it should be short for something, doesn't it?) very kindly took us camping one night, in the wilds of Victoria. Now, I've not done a lot of camping in my time, well not since I was in the cubs, and even then, we didn't have to put the tents up ourselves (outrageous, isn't it?). So I was a little inexperienced and didn't really know what to do.

But while the others worked I took a photo of myself holding a hammer, so that it would look like I'd helped to put up the tent.
After a while, I was allowed to help by holding various things. They figured that I couldn't cause much damage there:

They were, of course, wrong.
So I went back to taking photos.
When we told others we were going camping, they said 'Ooh, it's gonna get cold!' I was like 'Come on, it's Australia. How cold can it get?'

What do I know?
It was, without doubt, the coldest night of my life. I can't really put it into words, and the photos can't really convey it, but... (if I carried on that sentence, I'd be trying to put it into words).

We had a great time though out in the 'bush' - and I saw an echidna. I took a photo of it (and I used to be able to see it in this picture, but I have no idea now):
We had a great trip all in all, seeing family and meeting new cousins - and we saw some great Australian tourist attractions (Australian tourist attractions are a little different from in other countries):
*Ok, Mariah Carey's actual words were 'they can't take that away from me', but I don't feel I can take all of the credit for Great Britain's performance at the Olympics. Think of the trainers.

4 comments:

Katie said...

So when Ben gave you a pineapple for your birthday, he actually got you a model of an Austalian landmark, (knowing what it would mean to you).

And you accused him of not being thoughtful...

Mitchenstein said...

I didn't accuse him of not being thoughtful!

I believe my exact words were:

'Oh... a pineapple.'

RikiWright said...

on your comment about GB being 3rd in the medals table and who would have thought it - the Performance Director for the US Olympic Team who tipped us as the dark dark house to finish 4th in the medals table

Liz said...

Hey Mr Mitch - I also was given the job of holding things when we put our tent up. At one point I wasn't sure that the 'thing' really needed to be held any more, but was assured that it was and that I was doing a great job! I came into my own though once I began putting things away and everyone kept asking ' Have you seen my.e.g.toothbrush?' I encouraged them to 'keep looking' saying that they were doing a great job - mwahahaha! it's great being a power crazy mum :)