Thursday, June 26, 2008

Happy Second Birthday! (Part Four)

Besides mentioning some very important facts about myself, I also listed my ambitions in my first ever post. Last year I looked at how these were going and made some new ones for the next blogging year.

They were:
1. Get a piece of music published by The Salvation Army.
2. Lose a little more weight (I'm nearly where I want to be!)
3. Start a gospel choir.
4. Be able to speak another language fluently by this time next year. As you know, I am a little bit of a language freak, so I'm actually trying to learn three languages at the same time... We'll see how that goes.
5. Get a new hobby.
6. Keep this blog going.
7. Seize the day more.

And how have they gone?

1. Nope, failed this again this year. But, to be fair, I haven’t actually written anything, so this always was rather unlikely.
2. I did lose the weight! I put half of it back on again, but I did lose the weight!
3. Er, nope. It’s coming.
4. I have sort of achieved this. Almost. Well, last year I spoke very little Danish, but could read it fluently. Now I can pretty much speak it fluently too, but it wasn’t a new language. However, I could only read a little Icelandic back then and now my Icelandic is much better (although not fluent), so I reckon those two facts combined mean I can say I pretty much achieved this.
5. Yep, I play the oboe. I suck at it (not literally, that’s bad for the reeds), but I play the oboe. To a degree.
6. I kept this baby going.
7. Yes, I think I did. If ‘seizing the day’ means getting around to things you’ve always wanted to do or just trying new things, then I have seized the day more. Sweet.

What’s really frustrating is that I achieved one of my 2006 aims this year, but took it off last year’s list. I (kinda) got a book published. Well, it was a very small chapter of a very small book, but it’s a first step (which incidentally was the result of a bit of day-seizing).

So, some ambitions for next year?
1. Keep this blog going.
2. Get a book published (more than just a mini-chapter this time).
3. Raise some money for charity.
4. Get a piece of music published by The Salvation Army (really can’t see this happening, but for old time’s sake).
5. Learn to speak another language fluently (I recently read about a guy who could speak 50-something languages fluently. I now have my target).
6. Start a gospel choir (one day, one day).
7. Read more (obviously I have to read a lot for university, but I mean like non-university books).
8. Be tidier and more organised, and go to bed earlier.
9. Learn Welsh (I know that’s kinda overlapping with ambition number 5).

So that’s where I am - cymer ofal!

No comments: